Monday, October 20, 2008

Time Machines...

I hate Turbo Trainers - there, I said it. 99.99% of the time, even if the weather is foul outside, I still prefer to ride my bike outside and get soaked than get onto a turbo trainer.

Even when I set up a laptop with a DVD to watch, it's the same and goes something like this.

I mount the bike, HR strap is on and the power meter is working. I start pedaling to warm up and the clock starts...

Pedal, pedal, pedal, spin, spin, spin... good, my legs are starting to warm up...

... riding on the turbo feels more intense than on the road ...

pedal, pedal, pedal....

... man, I'm getting thirsty, better take a drink ...

pedal, pedal, pedal...

... I must be going a while ...

pedal, pedal, pedal...

... I think I'll do some intervals ...

interval, interval, interval...

pedal, pedal, pedal...

... I wonder how long I've been going ... WHAT, 00:02:49

3 MINUTES!

For me, this is why I call them time machines - if I had an hour to live, and I needed to make it last, I would find myself a turbo trainer.

So, having said all that, I'll get to my point. I've been asked a lot about Turbo Trainers recently, and as you can see I have a pretty specific relationship with them, but, as with most things in life, there is a time and a place. I have actually found them useful for warming up for races when there is no easy roads etc... close by and some times you really do want to spin the legs but can't/won't go outside. Actually, using them outdoors does not seem to bad, but unless you are warming up for a race, what is the point in that?

For those special occasions I use a Saris Fluid 2.


I have used a few magnetic and wind trainers and I found this fluid based trainer to be the closest to riding on a road. Also, living in an apartment, it's got one other important trait - when using it, it does not sound like an aeroplane is about to take off.

So, I don't like Turbo Trainers, but if I have to, I use the Fluid 2.

No comments: